According to grief expert Julia Samuel, people may feel uncomfortable with or dismissive of their grief because it brings up fear. However, not everyone can effectively listen and support us through this process. The key is to find someone close and whom you trust, who can listen without feeling the need to fix you or make things better.
To do this, Julia recommends being explicit about what you need from the conversation. Ask if you can tell them what you’re feeling and explain that all you need is for them to listen. Start with a shorter conversation, perhaps 15 minutes, to avoid overwhelming yourself or the other person.
It’s important to remember that finding someone to talk to about your grief doesn’t mean you’ll be “fixed” or that the pain will disappear overnight.
But having someone to talk to who can listen and validate your emotions can be a healthy coping mechanism and a helpful step in the healing process.
Talking About My Grief: Helpful Tips
- Choose someone to talk to who makes you feel supported and safe. Not everyone is well-equipped to listen and support us through the grief process.
- Be explicit about what you need from the conversation. Ask for permission to share your feelings and explain that you need them to listen.
- Start with a shorter conversation to avoid overwhelming yourself or the other person.
- Remember that finding someone to talk to doesn’t mean the pain will disappear, but having someone who will truly listen to you can provide powerful emotional support.
- Consider seeking professional support if you’re struggling to find someone to talk to or if your grief impacts your daily life.
Find Grief Support with Grief Works by Illume
Getting support when grieving is essential. It can be challenging, but you don’t have to worry!
The Grief Works app helps you overcome grief and connect with a community that cares for you. It also offers live monthly calls and the ability to chat with a therapist when needed.
Moreover, it has a built-in journal book for your daily diary and the Grief Works Curriculum to guide you in this wonderful healing journey.